When it comes to household issues, few things are as unpleasant and inconvenient as a backed-up sewer. The repercussions can be disastrous, causing damage to your property, creating foul odors, and posing health risks. If you find yourself facing this difficulty, you need the expertise of Alpine Plumbing and Rooter.
With our experienced team of plumbers in Covina, CA, we offer reliable and efficient sewer repair services to restore the functionality of your sewer system. In this blog post, we will explore the common causes of sewer backup, its effects, and how our technicians can help.
Common Causes Of Sewer Back Up
Blockages in the drainage line usually cause sewer backups. This can range from foreign objects like toys, rags, and grease to tree roots that have grown through the pipes. In some cases, the cause could be a collapsed or damaged pipe due to recent ground movement. Sewers may also back up due to the corrosion of the piping or an improperly installed pipe system.
Recognizing the Signs of a Sewer Backup
- Multiple Drains Backing Up: One of the primary signs of a sewer backup is when multiple drains in your home start to back up simultaneously. If you notice water backing up or slow drainage in multiple sinks, toilets, showers, or floor drains, it clearly indicates a blockage or problem in the main sewer line. This problem cannot be solved with simple plunging or drain cleaners and requires professional attention.
- Foul Odors: Unpleasant and persistent odors often accompany sewer backups. If you detect a strong sewage smell emanating from your drains, toilets, or other plumbing fixtures, likely, wastewater is not flowing correctly through the sewer system. The foul odor indicates that sewer gases are escaping into your home, and immediate action should be taken to address the issue.
- Gurgling or Bubbling Noises: Unusual gurgling or bubbling noises from your drains can be an early warning sign of a sewer backup. When the main sewer line is clogged or obstructed, air bubbles can form and create these sounds as water tries to find an alternative route to escape. Pay attention to any unusual noises, especially when using sinks, showers, or flushing toilets, as they can indicate an impending backup.
- Water Backing Up in Unusual Places: A clear sign of a sewer backup is when wastewater starts to flow back into plumbing fixtures or other areas where it shouldn’t be. Water may bubble up in the bathtub when the toilet is flushed or pool around the basement floor drain. This wastewater backflow is a red flag that your sewer line is compromised, and immediate professional intervention is necessary.
- Sudden Increase in Pest Activity: Sewage backups provide a breeding ground for pests, such as rodents, cockroaches, and flies. If you notice an unexplained increase in pest activity in your home, it could result from a sewer backup. These pests are attracted to standing water and waste, and their presence should not be ignored. Addressing the sewer issue will restore your plumbing system’s functionality and eliminate the conditions that attract pests.
How Can We Help?
Our experienced team of technicians at Alpine Plumbing and Rooter can provide fast and reliable solutions to all your sewer repair needs in Covina, CA. We use top-of-the-line inspection equipment to identify the cause of the backup and take steps to restore the functionality of your plumbing system. Our experts can remove blockages, replace/repair damaged pipes, or install a new sewer line if necessary.
We use the safest and most advanced techniques to handle all your plumbing needs. With years of experience in the industry, we are confident that our team can provide an optimal solution to ensure your plumbing needs are promptly solved. Contact us today and schedule a sewer line inspection.