Garbage Disposal Repair & Replacement in San Dimas
Expert Garbage Disposal Service
Have you always wondered what you can put down a garbage disposal? When your garbage disposal isn’t working properly, don’t panic. Alpine Plumbing & Rooter can help fix your garbage disposal problems quickly. Our expert plumbers can help clear out whatever problem you’re dealing with, and can help you better understand your system to prevent issues from happening again in the future.
Call (626) 349-6631 today to schedule your service with an expert plumber and get your garbage disposal running like new!
Signs Your Garbage Disposal is in Need of Repair
There are many do-it-yourselfers out there who try to fix everything in their home on their own. However, attempting to fix or replace a garbage disposal when you don’t know what you’re doing can be dangerous and ineffective. It can also be the cause of more severe plumbing problems. Here are the signs you should call an experienced plumber for garbage disposal repair or replacement:
- No Noise: There are many powerful units that don’t make a whole lot of sound. However, if it’s not making any noise, then you have a problem. You could have a damaged switch, the unit may be seized, or it could be entirely broken.
- Leaks: If water leaks from the disposal, then it’s likely that a seal needs to be replaced. However, it could also mean something more severe. A leak may be a sign that the rings installed around the sink’s drain hole are faulty or that plumber’s putty needs to be applied. Garbage disposals can also get holes if a foreign object falls into it and cracks the casing. Holes and cracks are common in older units, and this situation requires a completely new system.
- Jams: Jams occur when something is blocking the garbage disposal’s flywheel, causing it to seize. You will start hearing a low humming sound if you have a block. If you continue to run the unit, your motor could burn out, requiring a full replacement. You never want to stick your fingers or anything else down the disposal to find a blockage, especially if there is still power getting to it. Garbage disposals can be quite powerful and it’s not worth the safety risk.
- Odors: Sometimes you can hear the motor and believe that your garbage disposal is working properly. However, some jams make the blades stick in one position so that they can’t spin freely, which can lead to stoppages of food trapped in the disposal. This can lead to prolonged, obnoxious odors. If this happens, you will need to have your unit replaced.
If you’re experiencing problems with your garbage disposal or if it’s not functioning properly, contact Alpine Plumbing & Rooter at (626) 349-6631 today for prompt and efficient service. We’ll have your system up and running again as quickly as possible.
What Should Never Go Down a Garbage Disposal?
You may think you can throw just about anything down a disposal and it will break it up. However, putting these items into the drain can break your unit and also cause clogs:
- Large bones
- Excess grease
- Fruit and vegetable skins
- Metals or plastics
What Can Go Down a Garbage Disposal?
While there are a few things that shouldn’t go down your garbage disposal, there are many items that can. If you’re unsure, simply throw it into the trash so that you don’t risk breaking or damaging your garbage disposal. Here’s what can go down a disposal:
- Small food particles
- Small chicken and fish bones
- Small amounts of coffee grounds
- Select vegetable scraps
We’ll come direct to you and provide an on site estimate or consultation for your next plumbing project. There’s no pressure, and no obligation.
With Alpine Plumbing you pay no additional charges for appointments on weekends. Just one more reason why we’re industry leaders.
Our plumbing team is promptly ready and fully equipped for repairs of all sizes and expertise.
Tips to Keep Your Garbage Disposal Running Smoothly
Using a garbage disposal is pretty simple, but it’s not always clear the best way to use it to protect it for longer. Here’s a list of a few things you may not know:
- Run a stream of cool water into the sink before turning the disposal on: Many people think that running hot water will make the disposal more effective, but you are doing the opposite. Any oils and grease need to be hardened using colder water in order to solidify and be broken apart.
- Turn the garbage disposal on before you place any food into it: Some people only use the garbage disposal when their sink is already clogged. However, this can put excessive stress on the unit’s motor and lead to premature failure, so always be sure to turn the unit on before use.
- Gradually feed waste into the disposal: Putting too much matter into the garbage disposal at once can cause it to seize.
- Once you’ve finished, turn the disposal off and run water for a few seconds in order to flush the drain pipe clean: You’ll know it’s finished breaking up food waste when the sound of the disposal changes and it’s spinning freely.
This was probably the most efficient experience we've had with ANY type of service we've had to call over to our home. From scheduling to our actual appointment was less than 24 hours.- Jason M.
Matthew was very helpful and did not try to sell us anything that we didn't need.- Kelly L.
Michael performed routine maintenance on my water heater and discovered it had been improperly installed. He was able to correct most of the problem in just a few minutes.- Luis T.
Vincent and his coworker were informative and professional!- Maria P.
The easiest plumbing repair call I have ever had!- Andrew K.
We had another plumber’s quote for the same job and they were almost a thousand higher than Alpine. Really glad we went with Alpine!- Yiwen C.
Alpine called me right back after requesting a quote on Yelp. They came out to see the problem within a couple of hours.- Colleen L.
Tyler was very punctual and was very knowledgeable.- Steve L.